Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lesson 2- It is okay to let them see you sweat...

I must admit that I am not the most tech-savvy individual in the world. There - I have said it. I feel relieved and lighter. I am, however, a quick study, and I am eager to learn. I found an article on the Internet that I wanted to share with my students the other day about editing documents via Internet sites. I had the lesson plan ready, the article minimized at the bottom of the screen; I was ready to go.

The lesson began; the students were engaged; things were rocking and rolling. When the moment for the unveiling of my cool article/site arrived, I clicked on the icon and .......nothing. Nothing! Nothing! I was devastated. I was trying so desperately not to look desperate and frazzled, but I could feel the sweat popping up on my brow and on my upper lip. What was wrong? This was my big moment to show them what I had been learning in my "Digital Writing Class" and how we could use sticky notes and other cool Internet tools. But all I was showing was sweat.

Finally one precious child quietly got up as if to throw something in the trash and whispered, "If you turn on the projector, we might be able to see it better." Bless him. That I did, and we continued.

Thus I say - it is okay to let them (students) see you sweat. Otherwise they might miss out on a golden opportunity to help.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome story! I hear the writer in you trying to come out. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I had a similar experience yesterday. I wanted to create a model project for my students using PhotoStory, but my computer froze as I was previewing the completed project. I lost most of what I had been working on, and I almost had a nervous breakdown. However, I turned the experience into a learning tool for myself and a teaching tool for my students. Because of my meltdown, I think my students have a better understanding of how to use the program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories with an unexpeted ending and great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the mouth of Babes!! I enjoyed reading this. We all seem to have this moments when it comes to technology and the students!

    ReplyDelete