Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lesson 3- Look For the Good - You Will Find It

I have fought the "texting" phase of communication for quite some time- more out of spite than anything else. My first encounter with the "texting movement" came about in the form of an essay. About five years ago, a student turned in an essay- word processed at that- that was pretty much written in "texting jargon." After the initial shock wore off, I decided to read through the language and look for the development of the topic and the organization. No such luck. When I shared my experience with co-workers, I was surprised that the texting movement not only had a hold on the lives of students, but it also had many adults in its grip. I was amazed at the number of teenagers and adults who were texting. What shell had I been living under? It was an epidemic. What happened to the old fashioned way of communicating- face to face or telephone? Okay, I could even go with e-mail- but that was pushing it. I didn't want my students to lose that personal means of communicating. Thus, I set out on a mission to rid my classroom of "texting jargon," (Lost the Superwoman cape on that one.)

For a while, now, friends and family have been sending me text messages- pretty much because they knew how I felt about the "texting movement," and they knew I couldn't stand not knowing what the message said- even though my phone plan charged a hefty fee for opening a message. I would read their messages, but I would not text back; I would always call. Needless to say- I was the topic of conversation at many a family dinner. But I didn't care. I wanted to "talk" to my friends and family. I wanted them to hear the love and concern in voice.

But, this year, I have finally given in to the "texting movement." For Christmas, my niece gave me coupons for "Texting Lessons." She has opened my eyes to the benefits of texting, and I must say that she and I do communicate more. I have always talked to my brother and his family at least once a week on the phone, but now we share more often. Sometimes I'll get a message about a grammar question or a literature question or just a quick "Hello." I cherish these from her and from my other niece and nephews because I realize that it won't be long before they will not need me like that anymore. Or they will have their own lives and won't have time for the quick "Hello."

I find that I text other family members and my friends more often now. Since we have changed phone plans, I don't think texting me or receiving my texts has the same appeal for them. They now have to find something or someone else to talk about at the dinner table. But I have to practice my skills, so they will just have to feed the texting monster they have created.


I am doing well in my lessons. My last report card said that I am "determined and well- behaved." However, I need to work on my "timing and [my] syntax." Apparently my instructor measures the time from the moment she thinks that I receive her message until the moment she receives my reply. (Not fast enough apparently.) According to her, I need to "stop spelling out every word, use fewer punctuation marks, and use more symbols. " To which I reply- you can take the English teacher out of the classroom, but you cannot take the English out of the teacher. (Cheesy I know- but the best I can do.)


3 comments:

  1. I think I'm just the opposite! Texting has made communicating so much easier for me that I have refused to even set up voicemail on my cell phone. It's sad to know that I am a much more effective written communicator than I am verbally. Maybe I am losing the connection with verbal communication over the phone, but I feel as though so much of verbal communication comes from body language, which is something you can't see over the phone. It's easy to tell if someone is telling you the truth if you can watch them when they say it, but it's much more difficult to hear it in the tone of their voice. (Especially with teenagers who try to hone that skill.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid points, Triple Bs. I think the vehicle with which we communicate often depends on our preferences and our areas of comfort. I am not as comfortable with text messaging because it is new to me. The phone is more comfortable because it is what I know. (My husband says I just like to talk.) Great point about body language. So true. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does texting help teens become better spellers with all the phonics they are using in the new texting language??

    ReplyDelete