Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lesson 5 - Ask and It Shall Be Given

This year, the bane of my existence has been- make-up work. For whatever reason, some students do not feel that the work or assignments they miss when they miss class has to made up. I take the time to write the assignments out on a phone message pad- one that duplicates so that I can keep a copy- tack the student's copy and all handouts to the bulletin board under the heading "While You Were Out," and remind him/her when he/she returns. After the number of days "specified by the handbook" pass after the student's return, I remove the slip and place it in another notebook designated for such information. All work that has not been completed and turned in receives a grade of 0. For some students, the 0 does nothing. For others, however, they are very upset with the grade and want to know what can be done. Usually, however, the upset phase does not really kick in until final grades for the nine weeks are to be entered, and then the students want to know if they can make-up the work they missed the 1st week of the nine weeks marking period. Catch all of that?

As if such "carrying-ons" in a regular class were not enough, let me throw in an A/B day class. Some students who have my class on Monday/Wednesday wait until Wednesday when they return to MY class to get missed assignments if they missed Monday's. Some who have my class on Tuesday/Thursday wait until Thursday to get assignments missed on Tuesday. Confused? I am. As for Friday- that is crazy in and of itself. I have reminded students over and over again of the need to be prepared, what they miss when they are out, etc. I even go through the whole series of conversations about - my e-mail address, my phone number, classmates phone numbers, etc, etc, etc...

Finally, two weeks ago when I asked, "What else can I do to help/make you understand how crucial it is for you to be ready when you come to class after a missed day or when I do no see you for three days?" One precious, wonderful soul spoke up and said, "Why don't you open up a NiceNet account for our class? We all have accounts." Choirs of angels began to sing; a halo suddenly appeared over her head, and I felt my feet lift from the ground. I heard the "Hallelujah Chorus" echoing in the halls.

Then the bubble popped- why hadn't I thought of that? I had just been reading in our books for the Writing In the Digital Classroom class about NiceNet and other resources. I had even written several sites down on a pad to research. More than my not thinking of it, why hadn't I ask them before now if they were set up on a blog or networking site. Why? The true answer is - I am not as tech savvy as I thought I was and as savvy as I want to be; however, I am savvier than I was when I began the class.

My students know so much more technologically than I do; all I have to do is ask for help. Students are more-than-willing to give assistance. One of my students has actually identified a number of resources for me to check out "in my spare time." He has written reviews and shared how we could use the sites in class. Bless him because I know I am blessed to teach him.

Since I have created the class on NiceNet, I must say that everyone has been more prepared and ready to go. I check it every day and every evening to post assignement, address any questions or concerns, and to make clarifications where necessary. This past week when my personal computer was being debugged, my sister helped out by making changes for me and sharing posts that had been added by students. She liked it so muchthat she has set up a site for her office. I know all of my students do not have access to the Internet, but most of them have a friend or two they talk to or text every night who is also in my class. So the information is there if the students make the attempt to get it. I am just so grateful to/for those who are savvy enough to help people like me. I'll not be afraid to ask anymore.

1 comment:

  1. That's so great! I really like that idea. I think I'll check out NiceNet soon. Thanks for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete