Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lesson 7 - Use Technology For Good - Not For Bad

For so long, I thought that because of my mature age and because of the few years I have left before I can retire from teaching, I only needed to know the basic programs required to enter data into a grade book, to take attendance, to word process a test, and to create a PowerPoint when necessary. Watching the news and hearing all of the crazy stories about computer programs, people hacking into accounts, students plagiarizing papers, etc. made me skeptical of what I could do with all of the Internet tools and of what I needed to do. It seemed as if technology's reputation was not so good, and I didn't really want much to do,if anything, with it.

However, learning to use various programs and devices over the last few weeks in the "Digital Writing" class has opened my mind and my eyes to the world of technology. The experience has been scary, exciting, overwhelming, fun, confusing, exciting, - oh, said that one already. I have really learned so much by reading our assignments, playing on the Internet, experimenting with my new-found knowledge, and blogging. For me, the scariest part has been the blogging. I fear saying something stupid, but blogging and putting it "out there" for any and everybody to see is just, well, I can't even come up with a word to describe the grip that seizes my heart once I press the "publish" button.

I know that I can delete the blog, and I know that I can edit it to take out the crazy sounding statements. But at the end of the day, I "get" that blogging is real and authentic, and if I delete my post or edit it to sound different, then I am not being truthful. This is me. Crazy ideas, dumb statements, mistakes, etc. Blogging has made me take a good hard at myself, at my teaching methods, at my technological skills and the lack thereof, and blogging has liberated me- (I didn't even have to carry a protest sign or burn anything.)

As trite as it may sound, I have grown and continue to grow in the area of technology. The mere fact that I took the chance to record something that I wrote and embed it in the last blog for the good Lord and everyone else to hear is a miracle. Thus, with this new found freedom of experimenting, researching, and integrating new technology in my life and with a new found courage, I vow to use technology for good and not for bad. (Cheesy- I know.) I want to use it to improve my life and my teaching practices. I think I have just enough time in life and in teaching to do so.

Wish me luck!! :)

1 comment: